The Marine face of Rheticus: coastal water monitoring of the Epirus Region
Eutrophication of coastal areas is one of the most important and long lasting water quality problems for densely populated and industrialised countries. It can greatly affect coastal ecosystems. It is included among the Descriptors of the EU Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD) needed for evaluating the Good Environment Status (GES) of marine areas. Furthermore, the Water Framework Directive (WFD) includes eutrophication in the classification of ecological status because it affects biological and physical-chemical water quality.
The Water Directorate of the Decentralized Administrations of Epirus and Western Macedonia is in charge of provide stakeholders (e.g., fishermen, professionals in the aquaculture sector, scientific communities, etc.) with focused and actionable information on water quality
in coastal areas they live/work in. Rheticus® Marine is where the regional authority found what they needed.
In order to monitoring the eutrophication risk of the coastal water of Epirus Region (Greece), The Water Directorate of the Decentralized Administrations of Epirus and Western Macedonia activated Rheticus® Marine.
Rheticus® Marine is the operational service focused on monitoring coastal water quality and eutrophication. It exploits EO open data such as those provided by TERRA/AQUA, Sentinel-2 and Sentinel-3 satellites together with the Copernicus Marine Environment Monitoring Service (CMEMS) products for providing measurements of water quality parameters relevant for the eutrophication assessment (e.g. Chlorophyll-a Concentration, Water Transparency, Turbidity, Sea Surface Temperature, and so forth). Rheticus® Marine supports end-user to implement environmental
policies from local to international level, fulfilling requirements in the field of marine environment policy (i.e. MSFD, WFD, UN Integrated Monitoring and Assessment Programme, and so forth).
The Water Directorate of Decentralized Administration of Epirus and Western Macedonia enthusiastically adopted the innovative service, successfully providing its citizens with the needed information and overcoming difficulties and costs of field measurement campaigns. Local authority inquired into seawaters’ quality, health and evolution over time, reaching a fascinating full picture of the state of coastal areas and marine resources, easily spotting trends and anticipating risky situations and harmful events.
“Thanks to Rheticus® Marine, we are able to provide our citizens with everyday accurate and reliable information about the eutrophication risk over our regional coastal area.”
Serafim Tsipelis, Director of Water Directorate of Decentralized Administration of Epirus and Western Macedonia
- Daily provision of actionable knowledge through automatic processing of satellite open data.
- Thematic maps, dynamic geo-analytics, and pre-set exportable reports. Temporal aggregation of water quality parameters.
- Friendly dashboard optimised to provide information through a powerful web interface.
- Worldwide coverage.
- Designed to meet user’s needs.
- Subscription-based service.
- No device require to be installed.
- Direct access to major satellite open data providers.
- Availability in Machine-to-Machine mode (M2M) via standard sharing protocols.
- Accessibility as cloud service and as web service, following OGC standards.
- Data provided in geographic coordinate system.
- Supported access from portable devices.
- Alert mechanism via e-mail [on demand].
- Available integration with near real-time ground-based measurements (if any) [on demand].
- Spatial aggregation of water quality parameters over homogeneous areas [on demand].
- Historical analysis of water quality parameters [on demand].
- High frequency monitoring.
- Focused informative experience. Helpful to gather comprehensive information from satellite platforms from a single point of access, allowing customers to foster the process of analysis and understanding of ongoing phenomena over wide areas.
- Best cost/performance ratio thanks to open data, processing automation, and a cloud-based architecture, regardless the extension of AoI.
- Overwhelming of in situ monitoring issues, efforts and costs.
- Accurate, dynamic, reliable and always up-to-date actionable knowledge.
- Helpful to anticipate risky situations and harmful events.
- Reports and contents meet the requirements of national and/or regional authorities in the field of marine environment policy (i.e. EU Marine Strategy Framework Directive, EU Water
- Framework Directive, UN Integrated Monitoring and Assessment Programme, and so forth).
- Access to data from anywhere, 24/7.